Regular price: $21.90
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $21.90
Prof Vandiver is amazing. She is obviously very enthusiastic about the material and she takes her audience on a journey. I very much enjoyed listening to this course and I'd consider it as a preparation for actually reading this classic work, which otherwise I might have found inaccessible. As others have pointed out, she does spend a lot of time summarising the plot although before beginning the lecture proper, she spends a couple of lectures on the historical background. She also draws attention to important themes and controversial questions and the last two chapters are devoted to such a discussion.
So to summarise, if you have already read the Aeneid, you could miss this course without missing much. If you intend to read or listen to the epic, then these lectures would be very helpful for understanding the plot as well as appreciating the subtleties.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful
Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why?
• A great summary of every book of the Aeneid
• The analysis on the ending to the book was engaging
• The professor was easy to listen to (almost every sentence was easy to understand and there was an avoidance of flowery language that makes understanding difficult)
• The professor tended to explain the same point multiple times and seemed to repeat sentences (the point could’ve been made in less sentences)
• A little more literary analysis on the book rather than plot summaries would’ve been a nice touch
1 of 1 people found this review helpful
Whether you are about to read or have read the Aeneid, Vandiver's accessible and scholarly lectures really bring out Virgil's epic.
Her delivery is measured with light humour and an excellent reading voice.
These lectures have made me re-read the Aeneid and I have done so with added pleasure.